Republicans have said the nation needs to return to fiscal conservatism. They have said that the Democrats are tax and spend Liberals. Republicans have said earmarks is a “pay to play” policy and breeds corruption in Washington D.C. They say that this wasteful spending is irresponsible.
Below is a list of the top 20 earmark offenders in the omnibus spending bill in the Senate. This was found on NewsMax. If Republicans have learned their lesson for the past two elections and are returning to Conservative principles and values, then they should not be on this list. Well…why are EIGHT Republicans on the following list, including Mitch McConnell?
1. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va. -- $122.80 million.
2. Richard Shelby, R-Ala. -- $114.48 million.
3. Kit Bond, R-Mo. -- $85.69 million.
4. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. -- $77.90 million.
5. Thad Cochran, R-Miss. -- $75.91 million.
6. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska -- $74 million.
7. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa -- $66.86 million.
8. James Inhofe, R-Okla. -- $53.13 million.
9. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. -- $51.19 million.
10. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii -- $46.38 million.
11. Patty Murray, D-Wash. -- $39.22 million.
12. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D. -- $36.55 million.
13. Pat Leahy, D-Vt. -- $36.16 million.
14. Dick Durbin, D-Ill. -- $35.58 million.
15. Robert Casey, D-Pa. -- $27.17 million.
16. Harry Reid, D-Nev. -- $26.63 million.
17. Arlen Specter, R-Pa. -- $25.32 million.
18. Herb Kohl, D-Wis. -- $23.83 million.
19. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. -- $21.96 million.
20. Pete Domenici, R-N.M. (Retired) -- $19.56 million.
Source: Taxpayers for Common Sense.
Other than Arlen Specter, which is not surprise (Specter is a lost cause.), these Republicans need to be called out and told this is not acceptable. Yes, I know I am breaking one of Reagan’s famous rules for not speaking ill of a fellow Republican. Well…too bad. That is what has been wrong with the GOP. They have not called out people like these for leaving Conservatism for whatever this excessive spending represents. Besides, I am a Conservative, not a Republican. I have principles I live by.
If the Republicans want to win back the base. If the Republicans want to broaden they base. If they want more people to vote for their candidates, then state the Conservative principles and values and stand behind them. Live them. DO NOT be a HYPOCRITE! DO NOT be a typical POLITICIAN!
These eight have abandoned their fiscal conservative principles and are asking for millions of our tax dollars for whatever earmarks these are. This is absolutely unacceptable. This is not conservatism. This is counter-productive to our cause to win back Congress and eventually the White House.
If Republicans want to start to winning elections again, actions like this need to stop. They need to start standing up for what they believe in and do it. They need to be Conservatives. That is what leadership is all about. That is what America is hungry for, leaders and conservatives. So, where are they?